|Operating Your CPAP
Your doctor has ordered a CPAP machine to keep your airway open during sleep. Your CPAP machine's settings will be prescribed by your doctor and preset by Medox Healthcare. You do not need to make any further adjustments. Depending on your requirements, you will be fitted with either a face mask or Nasal pillows.
CPAP with face mask:
- Arrange the headgear so the longer straps are on the top.
- With the velcro facing out, thread the four tabs through the top and side slots of the mask. Pull the straps through and fasten by pressing the velcro back against the strap.
- Place the mask over your nose and slide the headgear over your head. Adust the mask for a snug fit.
- Connect tubing from CPAP to your mask.
- Turn CPAP on, and check for leaks.
CPAP with Nasal Pillows:
- Insert the pillows into the shell.
- Fit the nasal pillow headgear on your head using the velcro to make a comfortable fit, then slip it off without unfastening it.
- Attach the nasal pillow assembly to the headgear.
- Place the headgear back on your head, and position for a comfortable fit.
- Turn CPAP on and check for leaks.
Care of CPAP machine
Cleaning and disinfecting your equipment is simple, yet very important. Proper care prevents infection. Cleaning should be done in a dust and smoke free area away from open windows.
Following are instructions for cleaning your mask or nasal pillows:
- Wash your hands.
- Remove the headgear from the mask or nasal pillow shell.
- Soak the tubing in a solution of liguid detergent and warm water. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry.
- Wipe the mask with a damp soft cloth.
- Your mask must be disinfected every third day using either a vinegar/water solution or the disinfectant solution that Medox Healthcare suggests.Soak for a minimum of 30 minutes then rinse and let air dry.
General machine care:
- Keep CPAP machine clean by wiping it with a clean, damp cloth as needed.
- Do not put the CPAP machine on the floor either for treatments or for storage.
- Check the CPAP machine's filter as directed. Replace or clean according to the directions from Medox Healthcare. NEVER PLACE A DAMP FILTER BACK INTO THE CPAP.
- All equipment and supplies for your CPAP therapy can be obtained through Medox Healthcare.
For more complete instructions on equipment cleaning and care, refer to your care guide or follow the instructions provided by Medox Healthcare.